With Halloween behind us and Christmas just around the corner, it is great opportunity to start planning your winter home maintenance schedule. Creating a list of action items is key in protecting your investment and preventing unnecessary damage.
All of our custom and spec homes come with a 10 year Progressive Home Warranty. We build your home to the highest standards with consideration and care, working to ensure your home is protected from both to the start of construction to many years after. Check out the list below, or download Progressive Home Warranty’s full guide below.
Winter Maintenance Checklist
- Check the attic for leaks, check the insulation, look for blocked vents and look to see if any daylight is coming in through the roof or around chimneys (may indicate a leak or hole).
- Replace the furnace filters (homeowner), check fan belt and lubricate the motor if required (may require a technician).
- Clean and test all the smoke alarms ‐ check or replace the batteries.
- Test all the Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) and all the panel breakers.
- Remove ice and snow from porches and concrete stairs as soon as possible ‐ don’t use salts or other chemicals that will damage the concrete to melt or disperse ice.
- In freezing or snow conditions check for ice dams on the overhangs of the roof.
- Occasionally open windows to allow the house to air out (weather permitting).
- Avoid overloading circuits with heaters, light decorations or appliances during the winter.
- Remember to remove and store all your hoses, turn off the water supply to the exterior faucets and drain hose bibs (remove diverters too) BEFORE freezing temperatures. (See the information under FALL).
- If you have an in‐ground sprinkler system, make sure it is properly drained and winterized BEFORE freezing temperatures.
- Check that your faucets are not leaking ‐ this will save you money especially on your hot water heating costs.
- Check all the CO (Carbon Monoxide) detectors for operation. This is especially important in winter.
- Do not pile snow against the side of your home.
Progressive Home Warranty’s Maintenance and Information Guide
Say up to date! Sign up for our newsletters here.
Interested in one of our homes? Contact Fred Trommeshauser for details.